Notes from February 2022 Trust Board meeting
NEWPORT COUNTY AFC SUPPORTERS’ TRUST BOARD MEETING
FEBRUARY 24, 2022, 7pm
MEETING HELD VIA VIDEO CONFERENCE
REDACTED NOTES FOR PUBLICATION
ATTENDEES (Board members): Paul Marks (PMa, Chair), Joe Crocker (JC), Mark Crook (MC), Mike Everett (ME), Colin Faulkner (CF), Gavin Foxall (GF), Bob Herrin (BH), Kevin Ward (KW).
ATTENDEES (Club staff): Nigel Stephenson (NS).
APOLOGIES: Peter Madigan (PM), Shaun Johnson (SJ)
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING (PMa)
- The minutes of the Trust Board meeting held on January 27, 2022, were approved as an accurate record.
- MATTERS ARISING (PMa)
- None that are not included in agenda items.
- LEAGUE/CLUB/UPDATE (GF)
- First team: New assistant manager Carl Serrant appointed. CS brings a wealth of experience and skills having worked at multiple clubs. Pre-season plan has been agreed , including a training camp and a schedule of pre-season friendlies. Recruitment planning for 22/23 season is well underway.
- Fan-led review: League meeting discussed the Tracy Crouch review last week. Implementation of its recommendations is the number one priority for the EFL. The review is included in the Government’s Levelling Up paper.
- Football Operations: Fixtures out on June 23; season starts on July 30. Likely to be five substitutes allowed next season. There will be no break during the World Cup for Leagues One and Two, though the three-player rule for postponements due to international call-ups will be in place. There has been an increase in disorder at grounds this season. The EFL is looking at how to combat this through education.
- OPERATIONAL UPDATE (NS)
- Joint ticket promotion with Dragons completed.
- Covid passes no longer required for attendance at games.
- Advertisement now placed for recruitment of Finance Officer. CF reminded everyone that the club’s commitment to diversity needed to be included in all job vacancies.
- Season ticket sales (incl. half season tickets) are now at 2,172.
- Retail sales figures in line with forecast. Pop-up shop has operated within the Dragons store for the past two home games and proved popular.
- FINANCIAL UPDATE (NS)
- Overall positive position. Revenue income in general in line with budget and therefore on course to achieve forecasted cash position. Awaiting confirmation regarding claim for compensation for second behind closed doors game. Significant increase in iFollow Sales when compared with pre-Covid levels. No creditor pressure and all required statutory returns completed. Debtors under control
- Budget 22/23: The budget process for 2022-23 was commenced with a review of all income & expenditure areas by GF, PM and NS. Key assumptions were agreed. NS set up meetings with responsible parties in order to obtain their input. NS then prepared a draft budget which was reviewed by GF & PM. Following this review, a subsequent meeting was arranged with JR & DK in order to clarify key elements of the proposed budget. A further draft was prepared by NS, and this was authorised by GF & PM to be presented to the Board for approval.
- GF and PMa thanked NS for his work on the budget.
- The Board approved the 22/23 budget unanimously.
- COMMERCIAL UPDATE (GF in absence of PM)
- Invoiced commercial revenue to date ahead of target for the season.
- We have booked and budgeted for a commercial partner event at the Newport Market on March 31st. The purpose of the event is to present our commercial strategy for 22/23 to our partners.
- EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION (CF)
- No complaints received; 2 concerns highlighted.
- EDI Training rolled out across the club.
- Her Game Too fixture vs Bristol Rovers, 5th March.
- KW gave an update in the Newport Walk for Dementia. Now confirmed for Sunday, April 24. Route confirmed and all necessary documentation submitted to SAG. Directors, staff, management, players and local VIPs invited. Route marshal volunteers needed from the club, Newport Live and Alzeheimer’s Society. Registration is now open via Newport Live website.
- COMMUNITY GROUP (PMa)
- In line with our Code of Conduct there are certain policies that need to be reviewed on a regular basis. The annual review of the Register of Directors interests is now due, and this will be undertaken over the next month.
- Membership currently stands at 1,098.
- SAFEGUARDING (GF)
- GF presented an update on Kelly Anderson’s work during February and plans for March.
- ANY OTHER BUSINESS
- GF reported that the new Fan Engagement Index had seen us move from 4th to 6th across the 92 PL and EFL clubs. It was disappointing that the information submitted in support of the index had not been received. The view was this would have at least maintained, if not improved our position in the index.
Meeting closed at 8.36pm.
Next meeting: Tuesday, April 5, at 7pm.