Notes from January 2020's Trust Board meeting
NEWPORT COUNTY AFC SUPPORTERS’ TRUST BOARD MEETING
JANUARY 16, 2020, 5.30pm
MERLIN HOUSE, LANGSTONE BUSINESS PARK, NEWPORT
REDACTED NOTES FOR PUBLICATION
ATTENDEES: Gavin Foxall (GF, Chair, pending SJ arrival), Shaun Johnson (SJ, Chair - part), Colin Faulkner (CF), Bob Herrin (BH), Kevin Ward (KW), Ryan Courtney (RC), Paul Marks (PMa), Kelly Anderson (KA), Mark Crook (MC), Nigel Stephenson (NS).
APOLOGIES: Peter Madigan (PM), Mike Everett (ME).
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING
- The minutes of the Trust Board meeting held on December 12, 2019, were approved as an accurate record.
- MATTERS ARISING
- Any matters arising are included in other agenda items.
- GENERAL MANAGER UPDATE (NS)
- Club Secretary: Ben Lucey and Jackie Rockey working together on transfer window deals in close association with the manager. Other Club Secretary tasks such as rearrangement of postponed games are being dealt with.
- Ticketing Operations: Poppy Reynish has had two site visits to Hereford who are currently operating the new Flowte system. NS & PR to distribute a report for next Board meeting regarding ticket pricing for 2020/21.
- Finance Officer: Advertisement to be placed for finance support by end of week. Target date for recruitment February 2020.
- Commercial: Continued focus on meeting hospitality targets for remainder of season. Commencement of discussions regarding plans for 2020/21.
- Academy: Overall operating within budget. Next Governance arranged for 17th Academy Day will be taking place at the Grimsby game 4th April.
- Staff Engagement: Agreed by full Board that any commissioning of work by directors would be through GM. Importance of all directors adhering to this was emphasised.
- FINANCE (NS)
- NS presented Management Accounts to the end of December 2019.
- Club finances remain healthy and positive.
- Trade and statutory creditors all up to date.
- Legal action to be taken against some overdue debtors.
- Cashflow forecast was presented for the period to 30th June 2020.
- Action for NS to start planning process for 20/21 across all departments.
- FOOTBALL UPDATE (GF)
- GF reported on output from Club Group (including the manager) including a recap on SCMP and the approach to the January transfer window.
- GF gave a full update from the Club Group on players coming in and going out and how this would fit within the budget increase agreed by the Full Board, leaving us within SCMP due to funding coming from Football Fortune and players going out.
- BAR AMBER OPERATIONAL REVIEW (PMa)
- PMa gave a recap on the information he provided to the December Board meeting and the agreed next steps.
- PMa made a series of recommendations following completion of his review.
- There was a general discussion around PMa’s report and recommendations. It was agreed to support the recommendations.
- SUPPORTERS’ OPEN MEETING (GF)
- The proposed agenda and individual responsibilities for the open meeting on January 30 was discussed and agreed.
- It was agreed to include an additional agenda item on Trust membership.
- EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & SAFEGUARDING (CF & BH)
- Equality & Diversity: CF reported no issues have been raised since the last meeting.
- CF also gave updates on Jamille Matt’s homeless project, Bigger Picture, Leyton Orient match, Mental Health Charter signing ceremony planned for February, Mind/EFL Partnership game vs Bradford City, Heads Up campaign on 8th February, EFL Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Forum in February.
- Safeguarding: BH reported no issues have been raised since the last meeting.
- BH also gave updates on DBS work and new reporting software.
- ANY OTHER BUSINESS
- PMa gave a Trust membership update, highlighting the need to target those whose annual memberships have now expired. It was agreed to include this in the presentations for the open meeting.
- RC gave a Bar Amber update. A meeting has been arranged with an external food supplier. The Veterans’ Hub is going from strength to strength.
- KW gave a brief overview of a meeting he and GF had had with the City Council’s new leader, Jane Mudd, and chief executive Sheila Davies.
- CF said he would report back on his review of Board roles next month.
- BH raised some concerns over health and safety for the shop manager. NS to action.
- GF said he had written to the police to arrange a meeting with the aim of building a better relationship between them and the club.
Meeting closed at 8pm.
Next meeting: Thursday, February 27, at Merlin House, 7pm start.