Notes from July 2021 Trust Board meeting
NEWPORT COUNTY AFC SUPPORTERS’ TRUST BOARD MEETING
JULY 22, 2021, 7pm
MEETING HELD VIA VIDEO CONFERENCE
REDACTED NOTES FOR PUBLICATION
ATTENDEES (Board members): Paul Marks (PMa, Chair), Kelly Anderson (KA), Joe Crocker (JC), Mark Crook (MC), Colin Faulkner (CF), Gavin Foxall (GF), Bob Herrin (BH), Shaun Johnson (SJ), Pete Madigan (PM), Kevin Ward (KW).
ATTENDEES (Club staff): Nigel Stephenson (NS).
APOLOGIES: Shaun Johnson (SJ).
- WELCOME (PMa)
- PMa welcomed JC to his first meeting following his election to the Trust Board. PMa also congratulated BH, CF & KW on their respective re-elections to the Board
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING (PMa)
- The minutes of the Trust Board meeting held on Jun 24, 2021, were approved as an accurate record.
- MATTERS ARISING (PMa)
- None that are not included in agenda items.
- EFL/CLUB/OPERATIONAL UPDATE (GF/NS)
- Player recruitment: GF reported this was almost complete, bar a couple of the triallists likely to sign. DK is developing a scouting network both for opposition and recruitment – the intention is we will enter transfer windows with targets already in place. New players have settled in well.
- Return of fans: GF reported default position for season 21/22 is full capacity at games but with the option of moving to iFollow streaming if there are further lockdowns nationally or locally. There might be different kick-off times for streamed matches to preserve the 3pm Saturday kick-offs. EFL is aiming to be agile. We will remain in close contact with the EFL and our local Safety Advisory Group so our plans are as flexible as possible.
- Operational: NS provided a season-to-date report on Media, Retail, Academy, Ticketing and Football Administration operations. Key items: Head of Safeguarding recruitment commenced; Audited accounts filed at Companies House and AGM planned for July 29; Season ticket renewals went on sale yesterday; Plans to install hardware and processes for joint usage of RP ticket office; Handover of Club Shop and e-commerce operation to Hummel commenced July 2; Away kit launch scheduled for July 30 with third kit launch scheduled for September 1.
- FINANCIAL UPDATE (NS)
- Overall performance remains significantly ahead of budget.
- All debtors under control, with no new issues arising.
- COMMERCIAL UPDATE (PM)
- Almost all of the commercial revenue target has been sold and invoiced.
- All first team kit sponsorships now sold with the exception of home shorts.
- Sponsorships for the stadium clocks, dug out, additional times and corner flags have been sold.
- All perimeter boards have been sold and ordered.
- EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION (CF)
- The club’s recruitment processes now have improved inclusivity – stating we are seeking to diversify our workforce, and our commitment to promoting a diverse and inclusive community.
- My County My Shirt campaign has commenced.
- Meeting next week regarding the proposed Bradford visit with Exiles Together.
- The Newport Walk for Dementia 2021 raised more than £8k (including Gift Aid) for the Alzheimer’s Society. PR and planning is in place for the 2022 event, likely to be a hybrid.
- TRUST COMMUNITY GROUP (PMa)
- New season newsletter to be issued to members to include update around Trust survey actions taken.
- Further meeting held with Trust support group – fundraising ideas in pipeline.
- Continued member contacts at key events (birthdays etc) being led by JC.
- Further planned activities to improve communication and engagement – e.g. open meeting (likely to be November), members’ incentives during season.
- JC and KW continue to deliver daily social media content via the Trust channels, focusing on case studies of Trust members.
- SAFEGUARDING (KA)
- KA provided a comprehensive summary of July safeguarding activity and focus points for August.
- The revised Safer Recruitment, Managing Allegations, Anti-Bullying and Whistleblowing policies required in the light of the Sheldon Report were approved by the Board.
- August: Review and plan around the new EFL standards for the 2021/2022 season; Commence job description audit as per Barnardos action point; Ensure safer recruitment process is followed for new appointments to the Academy/Club; Commence Academy visits across the age groups now that all have returned; Meet with U18s to commence monthly wellbeing action plans; Continue with annual plan for the season; Review Safeguarding and Child Protection policy to include changes within KCSIE 2021; Recommence safeguarding supervision, in house meetings; Introduce drop-in sessions for parents; My Concern training for office staff and refresher for Academy staff; Commence the roll out of Beyond The White Line to U18s/U16s at the Academy; Complete the Safeguarding Strategy; Complete a Learning Needs analysis; Complete an annual work plan; Ensure all working in regulated activity have completed new disclosure forms as per EFL request.
- ANY OTHER BUSINESS
- PMa proposed that Trust donations to the Club increase to £8.5k a month, meaning the Trust will be donating in excess of £100k a year to the Club – the aim when membership levels were relaunched. This was agreed.
- KW proposed the Club sent a letter of support for Newport’s bid to become the UK City of Culture in 2025. This was agreed.
- KA announced this would be her last Board meeting as she was resigning as a director to enable her to apply for the Head of Safeguarding role and avoid a conflict of interest. All Board members thanked KA for her time, commitment and achievements during her time on the Board.
Meeting closed at 8.25pm.
Next meeting: Thursday, September 30, at 7pm via Zoom.