Notes from October's Trust Board meeting
NEWPORT COUNTY AFC SUPPORTERS’ TRUST BOARD MEETING
OCTOBER 17, 2019, 5.30pm
MERLIN HOUSE, LANGSTONE BUSINESS PARK, NEWPORT
REDACTED NOTES FOR PUBLICATION
ATTENDEES: Shaun Johnson (SJ, Chair), Bob Herrin (BH), Kevin Ward (KW), Ryan Courtney (RC), Kelly Anderson (KA), Paul Marks (PMa), Mark Crook (MC), Peter Madigan (PM), Nigel Stephenson (NS).
APOLOGIES: Gavin Foxall (GF), Colin Faulkner (CF).
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING
- The minutes of the Trust Board meeting held on September 19, 2019, were approved as an accurate record.
- MATTERS ARISING
- Bury FC – ME provided an update from the recent meeting of EFL clubs. There was a unanimous indicative vote against allowing Bury to re-enter the EFL for the 2020/21 season.
- PMa provided an update on the County Lottery. Some face-to-face cash collections are likely to continue.
- PMa gave an update on Trust bank signatories.
- NS presented a general update on club finances. Generally, a positive picture on all fronts.
- Average attendance is currently running at 4.2k.
- Season ticket sales have reached 1.9k – up 500 on last season.
- Donna Linton has joined the club staff, replacing Ben Jones.
- Retail Manager advertisement attracted nine applications. Five people have been selected for interview.
- There has been a meeting with ticket system provider Flowte to highlight areas for improvement.
- ME asked that the FA Cup first round was added to the ticket system, so it was ready to go if we have a home draw.
- KA informed the meeting of the County sticker book to be available in December – free to Clwb Spytty members and £5 otherwise with stickers costing £1 a pack. All agreed this will be a popular initiative.
- GF provided a written update. Generally positive. Finances are on target, Head of Coaching role has been offered (fully funded by EFL), recruitment day at the end of the month.
- EQUALITY & DIVERSITY
- CF provided a written update. No issues had been reported during the month. Work around mental health, Remembrance Sunday, anti-racism & anti-bullying was highlighted, as was improved family engagement thanks to KA and Clwb Spytty initiative.
- BOARD ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- CF to undertake a review of Board member roles and responsibilities following the recent election of PMa and KA to the Board.
- TRUST MEMBERSHIPS
- Membership currently stands at 1,003 active members.
- KW to speak to CF regarding comms for the October 31 deadline for the remaining 70 annual memberships to move to monthly memberships.
- ANY OTHER BUSINESS
- EFL Clubs Meeting: ME gave an update from the meeting. Key areas discussed included a possible third UEFA club competition, caps on agent fees and player loan numbers, and the Owners and Directors Test to be toughened.
- Veterans Support Group: RC reported there was to be a meeting of interested parties in relation to setting up a Veterans Support Group. This would take place at Bar Amber on October 29, noon-2pm.
- Local MP: KW reported that GF had spoken to Newport East MP Jessica Morden over Labour’s planned policy on football club ownership. GF offered to share our experiences of community ownership and a meeting was being arranged with the Shadow Sport Secretary.
- Half-season tickets: BH proposed we sell half-season tickets again. It was agreed these would be on sale from mid-November. NS to provide some sales and pricing options for the Board to approve via email.
Meeting closed at 7.25pm
Next meeting: Thursday, November 21, at Merlin House, 5.30pm start.