Notes from September 1st Trust Board meeting
MEETING OF NEWPORT COUNTY AFC SUPPORTERS’ TRUST BOARD
SEPTEMBER 1, 2022, 7pm
MEETING HELD VIA VIDEO LINK
REDACTED NOTES FOR PUBLICATION
ATTENDEES (Board members): Paul Marks (PMa, Chair), Joe Crocker (JC), Mike Everett (ME), Gavin Foxall (GF), Bob Herrin (BH), Peter Madigan (PM), Kevin Ward (KW).
ATTENDEES (Club staff): Nigel Stephenson (NS).
APOLOGIES: Mark Crook (MC), Shaun Johnson (SJ).
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING (PMa)
- The minutes of the Trust Board meeting on August 4, 2022, were approved as an accurate record.
- MATTERS ARISING (PMa)
- None that are not included in agenda items.
- LEAGUE/CLUB/UPDATE (GF)
- First team: GF provided the Board with an update on all first team matters.
- Rodney Parade: Update given on Rodney Parade relationships and future plans.
- Training Ground: Break-in earlier in the week. Building security has increased. Good response from the police.
- Cost of Living Crisis: Impact on the club of increased costs. In addition, EFL contacted by David Buttress in his role as government cost of living czar to see how football can help. GF attending EFL session next week.
- League Celebration: Celebration dinner, end of season event to mark 10th anniversary of the Club’s return to the EFL. Longer term project being considered.
- OPERATIONAL UPDATE (NS)
- General: Matchday operation working well with strong support from RP and volunteers. Fanzone proving very popular with spectators.
- Academy: New appointments now in place – Head of Coaching, Head of Education & Academy Physio.
- Ticketing: Season ticket sales to date 2,244. This compares with total sales last season of 2,196 which included 205 half season tickets. Match day ticket sales ahead of budget for three league games to date.
- Football administration: SCMP submission agreed by EFL. Ticket pricing structure agreed for Leicester City fixture.
- Operations: EFL-required changes regarding standing areas implemented. Supporters allowed to return to area behind 'dugouts'. Throwing incidents at first two fixtures addressed with appropriate suspensions/bans.
- Retail: Both home and away shirts now available in store. Third kit now pre- launched. Stock anticipated mid-September.
- FINANCIAL UPDATE (NS)
- Positive performance for first month of new financial year. Season ticket sales and commercial revenue ahead of forecast.
- COMMERCIAL UPDATE (PM)
- All available inventory is either sold or proposed. We are looking at new opportunities around Rodney Parade and within the development team for more revenue. Planning for 23/24 pricing and costs scheduled for October 2022.
- EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION (KW)
- No complaints in August. There has been a challenge from a supporter regarding a programme piece about Pride in the Port though this has been resolved positively.
- Pride in the Port this Saturday in Belle Vue Park & city centre. Supporting as much as we can, bearing in mind we have a home match. Providing a raffle prize (4 tickets); JR & GF videos, posters around RP, big screen & programme promotion.
- KW & KA attended launch of Together – the EFL’s new 5-year EDI strategy. Key pillars of 2022-27 strategy: Support, Educate, Communicate, Embed, Listen. All Board members have been sent a copy of the strategy.
- EFL online training available during September: Code of Conduct, LGBTQ+ Inclusion, Handling Investigations, Transgender Inclusion, Understanding Microaggressions, Colour Blind Awareness. KW asked Board members to contact him for links if they wished to join any of the sessions.
- British Red Cross is new EFL charity partner, with aim of supporting people affected by loneliness. #LetsClubTogether is the campaign hashtag.
- Kit Sh4ck (Second Homes 4 County Kits) launched. Aimed at helping both sustainability & cost of living crisis. Brainchild of supporter Ian Hopkins, who will oversee project.
- LFE providing online training for Academy players and parents. First one was LGBTQ+ inclusion. Age appropriate. Run by Stonewall.
- COMMUNITY GROUP (PMa)
- Current active membership 1,060. Community group actions ongoing: Member engagement e.g. hospitality, prize draws; Recruiting new corporate members; Continue to monitor and contact new/cancelled members. Supporting league celebration event.
- SAFEGUARDING (GF)
- Education: All scholars have taken part in ‘Breakthrough to Peak Performance’ which has been provided by the Arcadia group free of charge through the LFE. First-year scholars are commencing with a ‘Personal Development Programme’ as supported by the LFE. We are one of only six EFL Clubs to receive this.
- Academy safeguarding: Inductions have now been delivered for all Academy age groups. The Shadow Squad inductions will take place on Sunday 4th September. We are due to have a PGAAC and Barnardo’s audit this season along with the Safe To Operate.
- Other updates: EFL South Safeguarding meetings to resume this month, along with DSO supervision and safeguarding meetings.
Meeting closed at 7.55pm.
Next meeting: Thursday, October 6, at 7pm.