Notes from September 2021 Trust Board meeting
NEWPORT COUNTY AFC SUPPORTERS’ TRUST BOARD MEETING
SEPTEMBER 30, 2021, 7pm
MEETING HELD VIA VIDEO CONFERENCE
REDACTED NOTES FOR PUBLICATION
(Please note there was no Board meeting in August)
ATTENDEES (Board members): Paul Marks (PMa, Chair), Joe Crocker (JC), Mark Crook (MC), Gavin Foxall (GF), Bob Herrin (BH), Shaun Johnson (SJ), Pete Madigan (PM), Kevin Ward (KW).
ATTENDEES (Club staff): Nigel Stephenson (NS).
APOLOGIES: Mike Everett (ME), Colin Faulkner (CF).
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING (PMa)
- The minutes of the Trust Board meeting held on July 22, 2021, were approved as an accurate record.
- MATTERS ARISING (PMa)
- None that are not included in agenda items.
- MANAGER (GF)
- GF updated the board on the process relating to the Manager's position. This included the communications plan and the recruitment process being led by Darren Kelly.
- EFL/CLUB/OPERATIONAL UPDATE (GF/NS)
- Sporting Director: DK has shared with the Club Group the work he has been doing re scouting – both of opposition teams and potential player targets. The database of player targets is building all the time. A calendar of fixtures for the development squad was being created.
- Academy: GF reported we are launching a pilot partnering with junior clubs. Starting in Monmouthshire. We will use their coaches to identify targets and in return we will run some training sessions for them and their coaches The FAW’s 9-15 age squads for girls are to be run by us – adding a girls’ section to the Academy. David Pipe is doing strength and conditioning work for all age ranges at the Academy and feedback has been positive.
- Operational: NS provided a season-to-date update. General: Recruitment of Kelly Anderson (KA) as Head of Safeguarding; resignations of Callum Ellis as Media Manager and Ben Lucey as Club Secretary. Recruitment process is under way for both posts. Academy: Kayne McLaggon, BAME Player to Coach, has been appointed and began employment from 20th September; Ben Amor, Head Analyst, and Daniel Newman, Head of Sports Science, appointed have been in post from 1st August. Ticketing: 1,967 season tickets sold; Joint ticket office now open throughout the week and Saturday home matches at Rodney Parade.
- FINANCIAL UPDATE (NS)
- All areas currently on or ahead of budget. No issues with cashflow or debtors.
- COMMERCIAL UPDATE (PM)
- Commercial revenue ahead of target.
- Planning is underway to sell inventory for the FA Cup should that be an option. We continue to look at ways to generate new commercial revenue streams into the Club.
- EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION (CF)
- GF provided a report on behalf of CF.
- Planning for 2022 Dementia Walk in partnership with Newport Live well under way.
- TRUST COMMUNITY GROUP (PMa)
- PMa shared the latest membership numbers, which show increases across all categories.
- PMa highlighted the excellent work being done by JC in his role as Membership Secretary.
- SAFEGUARDING (KA)
- GF shared a comprehensive summary from KA of safeguarding activity and focus points for September and October.
- ANY OTHER BUSINESS
- PM asked whether an open meeting for supporters was planned now most Covid restrictions had been lifted. GF said we were looking at a meeting towards the end of November. NS to book the date and venue, with announcement to follow in due course.
- JC proposed that to facilitate better spaces for disabled supporters at Rodney Parade, directors give up their parking spaces and park elsewhere on site. This was agreed unanimously.
- JC confirmed Clwb Spytty games would be October 30, December 11, February 12 and April 15. The marquee would be back open this weekend.
Meeting closed at 8.05pm.
Next meeting: Thursday, October 28, at 7pm via Zoom.