Notes from September's Trust Board meeting
NEWPORT COUNTY AFC SUPPORTERS’ TRUST BOARD MEETING
REDACTED NOTES FOR PUBLICATION
SEPTEMBER 19, 2019, 5.30pm
MERLIN HOUSE, LANGSTONE BUSINESS PARK, NEWPORT
ATTENDEES: Gavin Foxall (GF, Chair in absence of SJ), Colin Faulkner (CF), Bob Herrin (BH), Kevin Ward (KW), Ryan Courtney (RC), Kelly Anderson (KA), Paul Marks (PM), Mark Crook (MC), Peter Madigan (PM) (via conference call), Nigel Stephenson (NS).
APOLOGIES: Shaun Johnson (SJ), Mike Everett (ME).
WELCOME: On behalf of the Board, GF welcomed KA and PM to the meeting following the recent election. Both had now successfully completed the Owners and Directors Test to be confirmed as directors of the club.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING
- The minutes of the Trust Board meeting held on August 15, 2019, were approved as an accurate record.
- MATTERS ARISING
- Any matters arising were included within agenda items.
- ACADEMY MANAGER INVESTIGATION
- CF relayed the outcome of his investigation into a complaint made against the Academy Manager. The Board thanked CF for his work on the investigation.
- FOOTBALL UPDATE
- GF reported that agreement had now been reached on a new deal for the first team manager until the end of the 2021/22 season.
- NS presented the latest management accounts, a 12-month cashflow forecast and an up-to-date debtor list. It was agreed the debtor list should focus on aged debt in future.
- GF reported on a number of operational issues.
- Vacancies for Retail Manager and General Manager were in the process of being advertised.
- Some adult supporters were still buying under-age tickets to watch home matches. The Board agreed the following policy: Any fans purchasing the wrong category of ticket will have their details recorded. A first instance will be treated as an innocent mistake and they will be allowed to purchase the correct ticket. A second instance - ticket will be taken from them and entry refused for game with no refund. Repeat activity result in a ban for the season. Policy to be communicated in advance of the Carlisle match.
- Following the refurbishment of the training centre, all insurances are now approved and in place.
- GF expressed thanks to KA and others on behalf of the Board for the much-improved pre-match family activities on the ‘cabbage patch’ and in the marquee. Feedback has been excellent.
- One supporter has been banned following issues at the West Ham match.
- Damien Broad has been appointed temporary Academy Manager with short-term objectives relating to finance, audit and EFL requirements.
- General focus for the governance group is on recruitment, finance and audit.
- Communications sent to all coaches and parents.
- EFL have been supportive over recent weeks.
- PM presented an update on commercial targets and achievements to date.
- SAFEGUARDING/EQUALITY & DIVERSITY
- CF reported on the club’s support for the Jeff Stelling walk for prostate cancer, plans for activity around Mental Health Week, and updates on Clwb Spytty and the club’s intention to achieve gold standard for Family Excellence this season.
- ANY OTHER BUSINESS
- Health & Safety: Following the successful audit, recommendations in the process of being implemented include completing risk assessments for the necessary locations and activities along with a Safety Management System Manual with assistance from the health & safety advisor; organising Portable Appliance Testing on all club premises; completing Lightning Conductor & Emergency Alarm test records.
- Trust Membership: New monthly memberships now stand at 984 active and 66 registered. This equates to £103k per year. Any remaining annual memberships end on October 31, and those affected will be contacted to remind them of the new monthly scheme.
- Remembrance Sunday: GF reported the club has been invited to take part in the civic parade and ceremony again.
- Bury FC: ME will represent the club at a meeting of all EFL clubs regarding Bury’s request to rejoin the EFL next season. The club’s stance on the matter was agreed unanimously by the Board.
- Lottery: A letter had been received from Ron Black and Phil Burgess about the future of the club lottery, particularly around the small number of collectors. Action point for PM to speak to both and recommend a solution.
- Chairman’s Box: KW raised the issue of a seating plan for home matches and the view that directors should not stand to watch games. This was agreed.
Meeting closed at 7.45pm
Next meeting: Thursday, October 17, at Merlin House, 5.30pm start.