Notes from April 28 Trust Board meeting
MEETING OF NEWPORT COUNTY AFC SUPPORTERS’ TRUST BOARD MEETING
APRIL 28, 2022, 7pm
MEETING HELD VIA VIDEO CONFERENCE
REDACTED NOTES FOR PUBLICATION
ATTENDEES (Board members): Paul Marks (PMa, Chair), Joe Crocker (JC), Mike Everett (ME), Gavin Foxall (GF), Bob Herrin (BH), Shaun Johnson (SJ), Peter Madigan (PM).
ATTENDEES (Club staff): Nigel Stephenson (NS).
APOLOGIES: Colin Faulkner (CF), Kevin Ward (KW), Mark Crook (MC).
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING (PMa)
- The minutes of the Trust Board meeting held on April 5, 2022, were approved as an accurate record.
- MATTERS ARISING (PMa)
- None that are not included in agenda items.
- LEAGUE/CLUB/UPDATE (GF)
- First Team: James Rowberry and Darren Kelly presented the Club Board with an impressive presentation on the work undertaken and the work required to get ready for next season..
- Ticket Provider – Current: Flowte have been served notice in line with the current contract.
- Ticket Provider – New: The club has signed a new deal with TicketMaster and further planning is being undertaken to make full use of the system’s flexibilities.
- Close Season / Key Dates: Close season plan to be devised and engagement with stakeholders/support base will be crucial especially with retain/release, commercial deals, new shirt launch, meet the manager, season ticket engagements.
- Fan Led Review: Govt have accepted the review and we are awaiting further news. It was stated that the recommendations in the review are many that the club already undertake.
- End of Season Awards: After Rochdale (7th May) in Bisley Suite. Multiple awards will be given out. Tickets have been made available to supporters. Tom Noakes will host the evening. Special Recognition Awards will be given to Glyn Neale, Tim Thraves, Gareth Evans (Academy) and Newport City Radio.
- Ticket Prices: Thanks to Nigel and Steve for their analysis work on the comparison with other clubs. All Board Members were encouraged to put forward their points prior to discussion at the May Board meeting.
- OPERATIONAL UPDATE (NS)
- Improved matchday experience has seen increased attendances (incl the ‘Pack the Parade’ campaign).
- Academy still in line with budget and the review results are due in May 2022.
- Tickets are in good position with STs at 2190 (inc ½ STs) and Ticketmaster contract now in place.
- iFollow sales have increased where available.
- Football administration is progressing well with the training facilities and bookings for next season. Retain and release documents are being prepared.
- Ops continue to perform satisfactorily, and general behaviour of home fans has been good.
- New static LEDs now in operation at the Compeed upper level.
- Retail figures remains positive to exceed forecast and the matchday pop-up shop has been a success.
- FINANCIAL UPDATE (NS)
- Overall positive position. Revenue income in general in line with budget and therefore online to achieve forecasted cash position.
- No creditor pressure and all required statutory returns completed.
- COMMERCIAL UPDATE (PM)
- PM stated that we are going into 2022/23 season in a good commercial situation.
- EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION (GF in CF absence)
- One complaint received.
- Walk for Dementia was a success with over 120 persons attending and planning for next year’s event is underway. It would be good for more supporters to get engaged at the next event.
- COMMUNITY GROUP (PMa)
- Membership levels remain consistent.
- Ongoing member engagement activity led by JC.
- Follow up call scheduled with Trust support group during May.
9. SAFEGUARDING (GF)
- GF presented an update on Kelly Anderson’s work during April and how it links into the Sheldon Report.
- Much work has been completed on education and training which is having a positive impact on the culture of the club, and it is clear that people are now comfortable in reporting incidents and to talk freely about their wellbeing and know that they will be supported.
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
- EDI: GF informed the Board that we will review how we can achieve full accreditation status. It was agreed that the club will produce an overarching plan to cover this.
- Election: PMa informed that some current Board members were due to complete their current term. The election process will be discussed in the May Board.
- Armed Forces Covenant: This will be signed at the Rochdale fixture.
- JC said that the open training session for silver and above Trust members on 12th April was a success with some good feedback being given. GF thanked the management and players for their work and stated that it would be a good idea for a similar pre-season event. ME suggested we do an event for SEN supporters and it was agreed to look at this next season with maybe linking it into the LPF Weeks of Action events.
- JC thanked NS for the work on the FanZone at recent fixtures.
Meeting closed at 7.58pm.
Next meeting: Thursday, May 26, at 7pm.