Notes from April 5, 2022 Trust Board meeting
MEETING OF NEWPORT COUNTY AFC SUPPORTERS’ TRUST BOARD
APRIL 5, 2022, 7pm
MEETING HELD VIA VIDEO CONFERENCE
REDACTED NOTES FOR PUBLICATION
ATTENDEES (Board members): Paul Marks (PMa, Chair), Joe Crocker (JC), Mike Everett (ME), Gavin Foxall (GF), Bob Herrin (BH), Shaun Johnson (SJ), Peter Madigan (PM), Kevin Ward (KW).
ATTENDEES (Club staff): Nigel Stephenson (NS).
APOLOGIES: Colin Faulkner (CF), Mark Crook (MC).
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING (PMa)
- The minutes of the Trust Board meeting held on February 24, 2022, were approved as an accurate record.
- MATTERS ARISING (PMa)
- None that are not included in agenda items.
- LEAGUE/CLUB/UPDATE (GF)
- Scholars: Decisions on awarding of scholarships have been communicated. JR and DK involved in the meetings with the scholars. Exit strategies in place for those not selected.
- Pre-season: All plans are now in place. Training camp has been booked. Players will return for pre-season training in the last week of June. Friendlies will be based around giving all players increased game time as pre-season develops. Some matches will be 90 minutes, some will be 120 minutes. Pre-season matches will involve scholars and trialists as well as first team squad.
- Recruitment: JR has identified to DK the positions players are needed for. DK has identified target players. The planning is very advanced when compared to previous pre-seasons. Clubs higher in the pyramid are contacting us regarding potential loan players due to our style of play.
- Exeter incidents: Damage was caused to the advertising hoardings and seats in the away end. All footage has been collected and forwarded to relevant authorities. Exeter and the club have been in dialogue. There were incidents outside the ground and the police have engaged with the club.
- Colchester home game: Season ticket holders will be able to bring a friend for free. For non-season ticket holders, the match will be £10 for adults and £5 for children. Communications will go out tomorrow.
- Ticketing system: Deal with Ticketmaster now signed. We will have a more resilient system with much increased support and the ability to, for instance, link with Trust membership data for cup priority tickets etc.
- OPERATIONAL UPDATE (NS)
- Finance Officer now recruited and in place.
- Audited accounts for year ending 30.06.21 filed at Companies House.
- March governance meeting for Academy taken place and highlighted the need for recruitment in session coaches and analysts.
- Matchday ticket sales continue to exceed budget.
- New LEDs providing much improved visual advertising. Light show and fireboxes well received for evening games.
- FINANCIAL UPDATE (NS)
- Overall positive position. Revenue income in general in line with budget and therefore on course to achieve forecasted cash position.
- No creditor pressure and all required statutory returns completed.
- Debtors generally under control but now exerting pressure on some outstanding balances.
- NS said if we qualified for the play-offs, it would be positive financially compared to last season due to the lack of restrictions on fan numbers.
- PMa said the fourth successive profit for the club was really good news. NS said it showed we have the appropriate controls in place.
- COMMERCIAL UPDATE (PM)
- The recent event for commercial partners held in Newport Market was successful, and there is another planned for November.
- EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION (GF in CF absence)
- Kidscape fixture vs Crawley Town on 15th
- KW gave a brief update on the Walk for Dementia on 24th Everything now in place for the event. Directors, club staff, management and players all encouraged to attend.
- COMMUNITY GROUP (PMa)
- Membership levels remain consistent.
- Ongoing member engagement activity led by JC.
- Follow up call to be scheduled with Trust support group.
- SAFEGUARDING (GF)
- GF presented an update covering March and plans for April.
- Clear that people are now comfortable in making complaints and this in indicative of an improved environment.
- ANY OTHER BUSINESS
- GF said the end of season awards would take place in the Bisley Suite after the Rochdale game. We will publicise this soon.
- GF said Tim Thraves has told the club he will be stepping down as stadium announcer and iFollow commentator at the end of the season.
- JC said there will be an open training session for silver and above Trust members on 12th April 11.30am-12.30pm.
- SJ asked whether we should return to in-person board meetings. It was agreed these would take place on a quarterly basis, with monthly meetings remaining as video meetings.
Meeting closed at 8.41pm.
Next meeting: Tuesday, April 28, at 7pm.