Notes from August 4 Trust Board meeting
MEETING OF NEWPORT COUNTY AFC SUPPORTERS’ TRUST BOARD
AUGUST 4, 2022, 7pm
MEETING HELD VIA VIDEO LINK
REDACTED NOTES FOR PUBLICATION
ATTENDEES (Board members): Paul Marks (PMa, Chair), Joe Crocker (JC), Mark Crook (MC), Mike Everett (ME), Gavin Foxall (GF), Bob Herrin (BH), Shaun Johnson (SJ), Peter Madigan (PM), Kevin Ward (KW).
ATTENDEES (Club staff): Nigel Stephenson (NS).
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING (PMa)
- The minutes of the Trust Board meeting on July 7, 2022, were approved as an accurate record.
- MATTERS ARISING (PMa)
- None that are not included in agenda items.
- LEAGUE/CLUB/UPDATE (GF)
- First team: James Rowberry (JR) & Darren Kelly (DK) updated the Club Group earlier in the day on development squad, fixtures, links to first team, and individual development plans.
- League Celebration: This end of this season will be 10 years since winning promotion to EFL. Putting a working group together to look at how we mark it.
- OPERATIONAL UPDATE (NS)
- General: Preparations in hand for start of season. Volunteers meeting taken place and new recruitment polices adopted. Staff reviews commenced and will be concluded this month.
- Academy: Appointments of Head of Coaching and Head of Education have now been finalised. External review now received and under review. New physio commenced employment 1st August.
- Ticketing: Season ticket sales to date 2,065 – highest ever sale of full season tickets. All season tickets distributed including 24 by personal delivery via first team personnel.
- Football administration: All required documentation for EFL, FAW and FA completed and processed for the season.
- Operations: Pre-season preparation of pitch and stadium facilities now complete. Replacement of Away Stand now completed. Access to 100 Club seats from balcony now reinstated.
- Retail: Sales figures continue to exceed forecast across all areas. Both home and away shirts now available in store. Hummel have confirmed arrangements with Rodney Parade for permanent shop throughout season at the stadium.
- Media: Media team working to a close season plan to ensure appropriate content is shared across all social media channels. This has included return to training, player recruitment, Academy announcements and commercial/sponsorship announcements. New volunteers in place to strengthen media operation
- FINANCIAL UPDATE (NS)
- NS reminded Board of the year-end financial position and presented aged debtor analysis.
- Overall positive position at the conclusion of the financial year. Revenue in general in line with budget. No creditor pressure and all required statutory returns completed.
- COMMERCIAL UPDATE (PM)
- A general update was provided showing a positive position.
- All available inventory is either sold or proposed.
- EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION (GF)
- Pride in the Port on September 3. We have home match but will be looking to support.
- Code of Practice partially met and Kelly Anderson (KA) putting plan in place to reach bronze standard.
- EFL training being looked at by KA to ensure right training is being offered to right people.
- Conference at Charlton on August 17. KA has put in place EDI monitoring. No issues in July.
- KW to take Board lead going forward.
- COMMUNITY GROUP (PMa)
- Active Trust membership levels remain consistent.
- Next Community Group meeting next week.
- Corporate members will be Trust guests in hospitality over first few home matches.
- Three new corporate members have joined.
- Open training session for silver and above Trust members, Clwb Spytty & Teen Exiles had attracted 60+ members and feedback had been excellent. Players and manager gave time to sign autographs and pose for photos.
- SAFEGUARDING (GF)
- Safer recruitment: Volunteers meeting took place with 30 volunteers attending the meeting, all completing the new volunteer application packs as agreed by the Board last month. The new EFL Safeguarding training has been well received and has been offered across the Club to staff and volunteers along with Playing For Inclusion.
- Academy safeguarding: Safeguarding, wellbeing, health and safety and equality induction has taken place for the scholars and the U15/U16 players. The scholars’ parents safeguarding induction is scheduled to take place on 27/07, with the FDP and Pre-Academy Phases players and parents to follow w/c 07/08. Regular player care meetings with Phase Leads to take place each month to further identify those who may be struggling due to injury, illness and who haven’t already been raised. Transition between school year support has been offered to our Academy players, along with transition support from FDP to YDP.
- Other updates: All U15/U16 now contacted to check in for wellbeing support as they returned to pre-season. This will also be the case for all other age groups.
- ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Meeting closed at 8.04pm.
Next meeting: Thursday, September 1, at 7pm.