Notes from December 2021 Trust Board meeting
NEWPORT COUNTY AFC SUPPORTERS’ TRUST BOARD MEETING
DECEMBER 20, 2021, 7pm
MEETING HELD VIA VIDEO CONFERENCE
REDACTED NOTES FOR PUBLICATION
ATTENDEES (Board members): Paul Marks (PMa, Chair), Mike Everett (ME), Gavin Foxall (GF), Bob Herrin (BH), Shaun Johnson (SJ), Pete Madigan (PM), Kevin Ward (KW).
ATTENDEES (Club staff): Nigel Stephenson (NS).
APOLOGIES: Joe Crocker (JC), Mark Crook (MC), Colin Faulkner (CF).
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING (PMa)
- The minutes of the Trust Board meeting held on October 20, 2021, were approved as an accurate record.
- MATTERS ARISING (PMa)
- None that are not included in agenda items.
- PMa proposed that agenda items were agreed by exception due to the importance of the first item on the agenda. This was agreed unanimously.
- LEAGUE/CLUB UPDATE (GF)
- Covid restrictions: GF reported that Welsh Government had asked for an indication of lost revenue if no supporters were allowed to attend until the end of January.
- GF attended a meeting of Welsh sports stakeholders chaired by Vaughan Gething. The meeting was looking for direct feedback and considered three options – as we are, reduced capacity, or behind closed doors.
- A decision and announcement by Welsh Government is expected tonight or tomorrow.
- It is safe to assume there will be some restrictions, and they are likely to affect a number of home games
- Premier League has decided not to close down for a period to get through the rising Covid cases and postponements and EFL will almost certainly follow suit.
- We may well have the scenario of no fans allowed to attend matches in Wales but hundreds/thousands travelling to away games in England. This point was made to the minister.
- Fan-led review: This document was circulated to Board members ahead of the meeting.
- GF said EFL seems united in its support of the review’s recommendations.
- January window: James Rowberry and Darren Kelly presented their plan for the window. They are looking to trim the squad but also bring some players in. Development lads will be going out on loan.
- COMMUNITY GROUP (PMa)
- PMa said we continue to invite gold Trust members in to hospitality at home matches and this has been well received to date.
- SAFEGUARDING (GF)
- GF highlighted a presentation given to Academy players and staff by Paul Stewart, the former Liverpool, Tottenham and Manchester City player who had been abused as a youth player, which was very moving.
- GF also highlighted the support being provided to youngsters connected to the club who had witnesses a distressing accident at Caldicot School and said this shows the level of community support we provide as a club.
- ANY OTHER BUSINESS
- GF reported on support provided by the club in the run-up to Christmas for a foodbank, the homeless, and a children’s charity in Cwmbran.
Next meeting: Thursday, January 27, at 7pm.